A pencil drawing of a Prospect home in Canmore by California artist Leonard Scheu (1904-1995). Prospect was built along the south bank of the Bow River in the 1920s for workers at the nearby No. 2 Mine a short distance upstream from the tipple. Twelve ochre-coloured, two-storey houses, such as this one, were built on the north side of the mine’s spurline along with a row of small bungalows. On the southside of the tracks, stood two-storey duplexes. Prospect was the first area in Canmore to have electricity, which was supplied by the Canmore Coal Co. Many of the Prospect houses were demolished in 1966. Prospect continues to be a residential area today, however, the houses are not nearly as modest.
Leonard Scheu, who appears to have worked primarily in watercolour paints, was born in San Francisco where he studied at the California School of Fine Arts. He also attended the Arts Student League in New York. Scheu is part of a long tradition of artists who spent time producing art in Canmore. Other artists include Walter J. Phillips, Kathleen Frances Daly Pepper (known for her charcoal sketches of coal miners), A.Y. Jackson and H.G. Glyde.